Thursday, March 31, 2011

The end?




I've been raised to not bother to give excuse or explanation, unless asked for.
all this while ive been a firm believer that 'It's okay to be misunderstood at the moment, the truth would eventually come out, and you'll be cleared of all the fake accusations that others throw at you at their wimp and fancy.'
I'm also a strong believer of karma. what goes around comes around, so do no harm to others.

But today, my faith was shaken.

for months, i've been going in to the same office that i've been occupying for the last few years. convincing myself that this is where i belong. the things i'm doing are the right things to do, being an educator, even though so underpaid and underappreciated by the management, is still a noble job, and is the best way for me to reach out and help.

and all these while, getting the kind feedbacks from the students whose i thought lives i've touch(one way or another), whose future success i somehow played apart in. the students who comes again and again to visit and pay appreciation to us with kind tokens and words of encouragements. all these kept me going, waking up day by day and drag myself to this dead end job.

even though for the past few months ive been treated unfairly.... no actually its been more than a year. But i didnt mind having heavier workload, coz i look at it as a challenge and learning opportunity, i look at it as a way of respecting a senior co-worker whom i used to look up to as even a motherly figure. so when she again and again put me down infront of the management, or again and again took the credits that i deserved... i kept quiet. as my faith was still firmly attached.
"it doesn't matter whether Jenny or Mr Lee, or even Ms Chan acknowledge whatever it is that you have done.... as long as the students gain from it and appreciate it. as long as they see the heart you put in to do whatever you can for them.'

I've never been a person who is good at sugar-coating, or saying kind encouraging words when what i see is the need to push and give wake-up calls. what angers me the most is clear lack of gratitude and appreciation. Many who are equally or even more deserving does not get the same opportunities as these bunch of students infront of me are given. so when i see that they are not putting in their best and doing justice for the rest who did not get this opportunity, i feel disappointed and that it is a part of my responsibility to push them back on track. hence the nagging, scolding, or sarcastic reminders that i've learned that i'm notorious for.

coming from a line of educators, im well aware of the responsibilities that comes with the job. i might not be as entertaining, humourous, approachable, or loveable(maybe not even likable) as some of the other lecturers, because in my mind i have only one objective: that is to provide as much knowledge and help as i can for the students to succeed in the course. though inbetween i try, to provide some breathing space and entertainment to keep them awake and interested. But studying is learning, and to face the exams you must learn the relevant.

But today i was told that students of mine are saying that i do not teach them anything in my classes, that i expect them to know everything by themselves.

instantaneously, my reality was shattered.

the type of irresponsible teachers that i despise the most... In certain students mind, im one of those teachers....

that is the part that hurts the most.

haven't cried for so long, but driving home from work today i just can't hold it in anymore. cried like a baby who had lost his pacifier, cried like a man who had lost his sense of direction, a person who was just told that his purpose in life was never really real to begin with....

after months of cleaning after other people's mess, letting colleague(s) step all over me, screw me over and backstab me shamelessly, throwing workloads at me while they sit there leisurely browsing the net yet still consistently complains to Jenny, Mr lee and the rest that they have too much work on their hands, shamelessly take my class and credit hours and claim it as theirs on their time-table, pretending to be helpful infront of the boss, offering to help me grade my students papers that is 6 times more than hers(but never did), despite profesional ethics and common courtesy between course sharing colleagues: consulting my students right infront of me(openly challenging my credibility)diminishing my credentials infront of the boss and the department, then afterwards having the guts to openly complain to me that my student keep bothering her.... despite this and that, i bite my lips and tell myself that it worth hanging on to, this is where you belong, nothing matters as long as you're good at what you do. Do not be calculative with those who feels threatened by you. at least there are still equally dedicated colleagues who sees the truth, support you, recognise your hardwork, and cheer u up along the way :') Thanks Miss Say, Caris, Joyce, Mr Lee, Mahdi, JM, and last but not least Effa!!!

but after today.... what else can i hold on to? what else would keep me going?

years of teaching and i take pride in always being recognised as the best in what i do. being showered with good feedbacks and never a complain from all the students ive taught, be it in highschools, tuition centres, language schools, colleges, or english departments.

but that changed today.

and perhaps this change should mark the end of this path for me.

this might not be the first time that i want to leave, but this is definitely the one time that i will no longer be held down by guilt or sense of responsibilities towards the students.

cause they might not realise it, but the damages that they have done to me this time, is beyond repair. perhaps this may serve as the last(or only) lesson i teach them: 'select your words carefully, you might not be able to estimate the damages or hurt you bring others.'


so here's for the many goodbyes to come.


for better or for worse.


10 comments:

.::annemishi::. said...

dear my beloved mr D.

please keep in ur faith, that karma does exist.

we, ur students, ausmat 2009, love u so much.
u taught us a lot.
we appreciate that.

who the heck are they? how dared they to say something cruel like that?
sheeesssshhh...
they really do not know how to behave properly to their teacher.

we all will pray for you, mr D.
:')

love,
hanis
ur ex-student ausmat 2009.
<3

~BENG~ said...

politics in works do happen, anywhere anytime. But please do not let urself be discouraged and beaten up by politics and false accusations made up by students or colleagues. mate,just be strong and apply ur virtues and ethics of wat u believe to be a good educator that bring sunshine to fellow students. to the least, I still believe in ur abilities and efforts in the arena of education as i experienced ur own unique teaching and lecturing that worked on me. Frankly, i did enjoyed ur sarcasm in class and everyone in my class did learn and benefit from ur class. We might not improve a lot since the course was just a year but the philosophy adopted in class and learning process learned still applies nowsaday , in uni life and future. last but not least, i do think u r a dedicated and one of the funniest english lecturers i have so far. Again just be strong and urself and dun b polluted by the ugly side of school politics but being an innocent and cute educator who is willing to offer and provide.change place to work if u cant find happiness and joy in kbu but dun give up the job as an educator.^^ sorry for my bad english though i learnt english under u. hehe

Song said...

hmmm.....
I'm not really good in sugar coating, but all the best Dee Dee =)
we'll have faith in whatever leap you're going to take.

Al said...

the one who said that should be dragged out and shot.
be strong gurl.

matila.

Siew Wuen said...

Mr derick.. we appreciate and cherish you. =] Will support you no matter what~ Add oil!

jiajun said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jiajun said...

Mr. D, you are a very dedicated educator and I strongly believes that you will excel in your future's fields of work. All the best Mr.D! :D

atiqah muhamad said...

Hey Mr. D,

If I am being brutally honest, you've thought me more in your class then my six years of English learning in high school. Surviving the grill in design studios here in UNSW, I owe it all to you. You know how much we've enjoyed your classes back in the day. We know the effort that you put in, and we've challenged ourselves to be better, because you challenged yourself for us. I hope you know that you've changed so many lives along the way, well at least mine ( in ways you never could imagine)Look at Beng, his using words like frankly and philosophy haha.

Like what Beng said, it wasn't just an afternoon two hours English class, it's lessons that goes far beyond that four white walls. And there's more honor in that then feeding us with things that's gonna get us another passing mark. The sarcasm, the debates, all the tearing up in those poetry sessions - I hope you understand that we would never have been so engaged if it wasn't for your support and hard work. Just so you know, I keep bitchin about work here because I don't get my daily dose of sarcasm, I need to know that I'm still such a badass inside.

But then again, it's your life decision to make, the only one life that you have. Maybe it's high time that you put yourself first then trying to protect others that are in denial of their ugly self. I know I am at no stage or in no rightful position to say that I know how it feels to be unappreciated, but there is certainty that this is the one life that we have and it's not that long to go on living among the people that gets you down almost everyday, or giving so much to those who clearly have no sense of respect for you- it's just not worth it.

I can only give you my support in whatever choose to do and I hope you find happiness in whatever you finally decide to embark on.

You've been a wonderful educator and friend.

atiqah muhamad said...

*you choose

::syireen:: said...

Hey Mr. D! I know I haven't contacted you much n stuff, but I just wanna assure u, u taught us A LOT. Those kids r just a bunch of spoilt brats hoping for their teachers to spoon-feed every single knowledge to them. If they're sayin that, they'll probably have a hard time surviving uni. So DONT let their words bring you down. See how many of your students are already here, doesnt that already show your credibility's worth? :) Plus, WE ALL LOVE YOU. There are not may educators out there that can leave this kind of impression to their previous students, but YOU DID. So hang in there mr d! And dont let them bring you down! ;]