Thursday, April 19, 2007

An Empty Swing

I remember
Mommy pouring warm water onto my hair
Tears screeching down her cheeks while she clings to her smile
The smell of my favourite shampoo invading my nostrils
Blowing bubbles i imagine us together forever

I remember
Daddy tearing me away from mommy
As i try my best to hold on to the end of her soaked T-shirt
Mommy sobs furiously while i call out to her
Daddy never dares to look me in the eyes

I remember
Daddy turning his back walking out the door
Leaving me behind sobbing, staring vacantly
At an empty space that seems too big to be true
I wanted to run after him but trapped on a wrinkled palm

I don't remember
Walking on the beach
With daddy and mommy on each side of me
Laughing as they pull my arms and swing me high into the blue sky

I don't remember
Looking back at the footprints
Two pairs of big ones and another tiny one
Around the sandcastle we built our dreams around

I realize
I would not see mommy and daddy for a long time
That our sandcastle would eventually dissapear along the tide
House of cards would crumbles down, falling to pieces

I feel
Lost in this place i am a stranger to
Deceived by the sweet smell of strawberry shampoo
helpless as i lie under a blanket of onions
Incomplete as it's a part of me that i'll never recover
The human swing, will swing no more


actually, i've posted this on my old blog before a long time ago. but recently, i joined an online poetry group n posted it there. i've got a few comments, n sum of it jus made my day, heheh.... who doesn't like to be told tat they've did a good job rite? i noe, i noe, wats i'm gonna do next is very extremely vain, but who cares, this is a free country rite? =p

I don't have any grammatical or writing style critique for you but I want to just say that personally I really liked it.

I liked the comparison of the reality, and the dreams. Then your analysis and the conclusion. I prefer single spacing because it is easier to read on here...but I enjoyed the read anyway.

3 comments:

Mel said...

I love this piece!

Now that I've graduated from LOL class, I can comment:

The poet uses syntactic parallelism in the first line of each stanza (I + verb)

I also realise that there is an absence of punctuation of any form -- as if these memories and nostalgic events came into his mind like a gush of wind that keeps blowing. The poem doesn't cease with a full stop but is trailed off with the last line "...will swing no more..." Because in real life, there is really no end to where our memories will stop coming through. This style of writing could be a reflection of the persona's psyche and thought.

Apart from that, the sequence of events here are purely presentational as we are not told which happens first. This poem is a form of mimesis -- like in the narrative, Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf, this poem is told in a stream of consciousness.

So, Dr. Tenh...how did I do? Give me an A! ;p hehehe Definitely wayaaaayyyyyy better than the OTTER poem that I did in the exam.

Derick Tenh P.S said...

haha, if only i could write a comment like this for d exam. but i was so blanked tat day. i needed to pee so bad =P
thanx for da comment, u truly deserves an A++ for it.

Mel said...

Wah, I want you to be my lecturer la :)